Monday, September 1, 2008

Hurricanes,Lemonade, and Roaches

Gustav. He didn't come here, exactly, but he certainly took over my Labor Day weekend. I am very grateful that down here in Daphne, AL we have just had a lot of rain, a few wind gusts and not much else. We have got a little bit of cabin fever, but really it has just been a great excuse to lie around on the couch and watch the weather channel all day. How lazy! I know. I needed it.

Yesterday, in anticipation of the onslaught of Gustav, I:

  • went to church
  • led a Sunday School class
  • experienced a great time of worship with a great message
  • helped move a chicken coop
  • helped move a bunny hutch
  • watched my husband and daughter chase and catch chickens
  • came home
  • cleaned off the carport of objects that potentially go airborne
  • by myself
  • reordered our storage area to make a place for our kitty cats to hide in case it got really rough here
  • by myself
  • did laundry
  • pondered and discussed the decision to stay and ride out the storm vs. leave and go hang out with my parents
  • way too many times
  • with my husband :)
  • decided I was entirely too exhasted to pack and drive.

All of that is why I didn't feel too badly about the profound laziness that took over today.

As I sit here with my fingers on the keyboard of my laptop, I am just grateful to be blogging.

You know, being still is a good thing. I really should do it more often. It gave me the opportunity to recognize so many blessings: the love of my family, the security of knowing that regardless of the weather...."my times are in His hands," food and shelter, friendship...basic and beautiful blessings.

Oh, and laughter......my brother and his family.....also in the area of potential hurricane threat...well, anyway....so...my nephew decides to have a lemonade stand. John tells him that they probably wouldn't get much business. He sets it up anyway, in the house, complete with the sign: LEMONADE 50 CENTS! Poor little guy can't figure out why nobody is buying his lemonade so he packs up the whole stand and moves it from the kitchen....to the front door. Every good business man knows its all about location, location, location. Sweet buddy, he is on his way but doesn't quite have his Daddy's business sense yet.

Okay, so about the roach. At this point I simply cannot qualify roaches as a blessing. I just can't do it. Do I dare tell about this roach? I am not sure I should completely gross out my "vast" readership. Let's just say there was a roach. It was gross. Why did God make roaches? And how do I segue to a new subject? And how do you spell segue, segway, segweigh? Still in lazy mode, I just don't want to get up and find the dictionary to look it up. I am sure I could look it up on the internet but....whatever.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

And here you are.

Finally. :D

You know I'm all about having a lazy day. ALL about it.

Love you girlie...

DeeDee said...

Hey Girl!~

So good to hear from you. Hal and I are currently on a vacation - so I will respond back more later... but before you frame a poem... it is Brantley (not Brooke) LOL

That may have been a typo - but I just wanted to make sure. You are right - we need to get together soon for some "catch up" time.

Love you and your precious family!
DeeDee

Just Me'n Mine said...

Good grief DeeDee, that's embarassing! Sorry about that. I look forward to hearing from you when you can.

Love yall too, and I hope you and Hal have the vacation you no doubt need!

Leisl